Urine Collection Container / 24 Hour Urine Container
A 24 hour urine collection is a laboratory test used to measure the content of a urine sample and check kidney functions. Urine collection containers facilitate the collection of urine over a period of 24 hours. The 24 hour urine specimen should be kept at cool temperatures until returning it to the lab. Read More...
Starting at $2.83
At AvaCare Medical, we provide our customers with the best 24 hour urine collection containers in the market.
How to Choose the Best 24-Hour Urine Collection Container
Urine collection containers are used for 24 hour urine collection procedures. The best 24 hour urine collection container should have certain features which set them apart from other containers, making them ideal for urine collection:
The 24 hour urine jug should have a 3-liter capacity. The normal range for 24 hour urine is about 2 liters per day with normal fluid intake. Since 24 hr urine collection is done to diagnose certain medical conditions, the capacity of the container used should be at least 3 liters.
The amber color of 24 hour urine jugs protects the components of urine from light. Some components such as porphyrins and urobilinogen are light-sensitive, so they need to be protected, and the dark color these containers feature is perfect for this function.
3. Closure Types
Most 24-hour collection containers are equipped with simple screw-on caps. Some urine collection bottles have a port to make the transfer of urine samples into tubes easier. Your clinic may recommend that you use a urine collection container with this feature.
4. Materials & Preservatives
Some urine samples require a preservative. Before the 24 hour collection of urine, a preservative is added to the urine collection jug and warning labels are placed on it. Preservatives such as hydrochloric acid, boric acid, acetic acid, and toluene are often used in the 24 hour urine collection procedure. Sometimes, more than a preservative can be used in the urine collection process; the lab chooses the least hazardous preservative and adds it.
The 24 hour urine collection bottle should be made with materials that won’t interact with the components of the urine or its preservatives or prevent its effectiveness. The following are some of the considerations that are taken into account when a material is selected for urine collection containers:
- Free of metal, latex, zinc, and fluorescence
- Resistant to preservatives (especially hydrochloric acid)
- Tolerates freezing and gas sterilization without causing any changes in the urine sample
- Cap: The cap should be leakproof to ensure safe transport, to protect healthcare providers from exposure, and to shield the specimen from contamination.
- Pour Spout: A 24 urine jug equipped with a snap pour spout can be opened and shut easily and also offers dripless pouring. The flow rate should also be controlled to avoid any hazards.
- Low Form Design: This allows the patients to use the 24 hr urine container easily. Also, it does not waste space as it takes less storage space. The bottle should contain more than 3 liters of urine and feature easy and comfortable grip.
Uses and Benefits of 24-Hour Urine Containers
A 24 hour urine collection is a diagnostic test for kidney functions. It is usually done to see if the kidney is able to clear creatinine or not and the percentage of creatinine cleared. It is also a way to measure the various components of urine such as proteins, hormones, minerals, and others.
The most common health problems that may lead to kidney diseases and require 24 hour urine collection include:
- Hypertension: Persistent high blood pressure can lead to permanent kidney problems.
- Diabetic Nephropathy: Uncontrolled diabetes mellitus can lead to protein leakage in the urine. A 24 hour urine protein test is highly recommended to assess the severity of the kidney damage.
- Lupus Nephritis: This condition is an autoimmune disease where the immune system causes damage to the kidneys.
- Urinary Tract Infection (UTI): If a patient contracts UTIs frequently, a 24 hour urine sample can help their healthcare providers assess the situation and figure out possible reasons for the recurrences.
- Alport Syndrome: Alport syndrome is a hereditary health condition which is characterized by vision, hearing, and renal problems.
- Nephrotic Syndrome: A 24 hour urine specimen is necessary to assess Nephrotic syndrome. High proteins and cholesterol in urine, low proteins in the blood, and edema due to the leakage of proteins (Albumin) characterize the condition.
- Polycystic Kidney Disease: This is when fluid-filled cysts form all over the kidneys. These cysts end up causing severe damage over time.
- Pyelonephritis: Urinary tract infections cause inflammation in the kidneys leading to pyelonephritis.
- Preeclampsia During Pregnancy: High blood pressure during pregnancy is a dangerous sign that may lead to organ failure including kidneys.
- Kidney Stones: Kidney stones form due to an imbalance in the components of urine.
These are the most common reasons for your doctor to ask for a 24 hour urine specimen, but there may be other reasons, as well.
How to Use a 24-Hour Urine Container
Follow these steps to 24 hour urine collection in order to complete the process properly.
- You should have more than one 24 hour urine container for collecting and storing urine. Keep the containers in a cool place.
- Your healthcare provider will tell you exactly when to begin collecting your urine. It is common to start the collection process soon after you wake up.
- The collection process starts after the first micturation of the day. Upon waking, urinate and flush this first specimen.
- Any urine collected should be stored at a cold temperature. Ideally, it should be kept on ice or in a refrigerator until it is sent to the lab.
- It is recommended to urinate again at the same time after 24 hours. It is okay if you are not able to, but it is preferred to do so.
- Take the 24 hour urine specimen to the lab as soon as possible.
- You may be told to repeat the 24 hour urine collection process if such is needed for a proper analysis.
At AvaCare Medical, we have the highest quality 24 hour urine collection containers. If you're finding it difficult to choose a 24 hour urine container, speak to our customer service representatives. They will help you in choosing the best 24 hour urine collection kit for your condition. Shop now!