Bariatric Manual Wheelchairs / Lightweight Heavy Duty Wheelchairs
Lightweight heavy duty wheelchairs can be smoothly maneuvered about by either the caregiver or the wheelchair user. Find many different choices of these wheelchairs on AvaCare Medical now. Read more...
Starting at $441.61
Starting at $166.10
Starting at $201.20
Starting at $371.87
Starting at $548.24
Starting at $497.69
Starting at $1,069.94
Starting at $300.35
Starting at $548.85
Starting at $189.00
Starting at $287.19
Starting at $263.49
A lightweight heavy duty wheelchair can be utilized for short or long-term. These models are most often used by those who cannot stand or walk for extended periods of time. Lightweight bariatric wheelchairs can help users to enjoy everyday physical activities such as running errands and shopping because of their portability and ease of storage for travel.
Different Types of Non-Motorized Heavy Duty Wheelchairs
Heavy duty wheelchairs come in different styles to meet users’ needs. These wheelchairs are self-propelled, meaning users can maneuver them on their own by means of leg and/or upper body strength. Bariatric manual wheelchairs offer many features to users that maximize mobility, comfort, and safety.
Foldable models offer users the ability to collapse and store their wheelchairs when not in use. Active bariatric wheelchair users may find that lightweight models are especially helpful in terms of travel storage. Folding manual wheelchairs are great for individuals who need to store or transport their wheelchairs on a more consistent basis.
Lightweight heavy duty wheelchairs can be maneuvered by either the caregiver or the user, provided the user has sufficient leg or upper body strength. Such models can be stored easily and, due to their portability and low weight, represent an ideal choice for traveling short and long distances alike. Lightweight wide wheelchairs are characterized by wider frames and higher overall product weights. Certain features (such as removable rigging) can make regular wheelchairs more lightweight.
Portable wheelchairs are characterized by their lightweight nature and foldability. Some portable wheelchairs feature folding seats, while others may have folding frames and additional features like swing-away or folding leg rests and foot rests. These features render them compact and thus easy to travel with. Many manual wheelchairs have similar options.
Bariatric manual wheelchairs are designed to provide maximum comfort to larger users who live with limited mobility. These wheelchairs accommodate higher weight capacities than standard wheelchairs. A bariatric manual wheelchair is constructed of a heavy duty frame with cross-bar supports and reinforced steel gussets that reinforce critical areas on the chair. Bariatric wheelchairs are durable wheelchairs that often handle weight capacities of up to 700 lbs and seat sizes that go up to 30 inches wide.
Choosing the Right Bariatric Wheelchair
Choosing a lightweight heavy duty wheelchair can seem difficult at first, but this doesn’t have to be the case. Two important features to keep in mind when evaluating these models are the weight capacity and the appropriate frame construction material. Sometimes, optional rigging implements influence the overall product weight. Therefore, if these are not needed by the user, they can be removed in order to make the wheelchair lighter.
Select Features of Bariatric Wheelchairs
Features of lightweight heavy duty wheelchairs include the framing construction which determines whether the wheelchair is rated for bariatric use. Further, verifying the proper weight capacity will allow a user to see if the chair is capable of accommodating a particular user. These versions are often constructed with a carbon steel frame and either mag or steel spokes. Rigging on manual wheelchairs can typically be detached to achieve a lighter unit weight which aids in transport.
Standard Measurements Found in Heavy Duty Wheelchairs
- Standard wheelchair sizes are often 42 inches in length, 36 inches in height, and approximately 25 inches wide. Bariatric wheelchairs are very similar, though their overall width ranges from 28 - 33 inches to accommodate wider seats.
- Standard seat sizes are often 16 inches for narrow adults and up to 20 inches for most adults. Bariatric models often go up to 30 inches in seat width. To determine the appropriate seat size, measure from one side of the hips to the other in a straight line, and then add an extra two inches.
- Standard product weight of manual wheelchairs can range anywhere between 35 lbs. to 45 lbs., while lightweight wheelchairs are closer to 25 and 35 lbs. Many of the lightweight bariatric wheelchairs will be in the 30lbs-35lbs range due to their heavy duty frames.
Safety Tips for Using Heavy Duty Wheelchairs
- Safety belts can ensure that users of lightweight bariatric wheelchairs remain secure in their seats. This proves particularly helpful when being pushed by a caregiver.
- Amenities such as cushions or padded arm and leg rest can aid in comfort and safety by providing a soft place for limbs to rest. Such features ward off sores and discomfort.
- Removable rear axles and arms/leg rests are great features to have and aid users in a safer transfer by preventing snags on rigging. The rear removable axle allows for faster transfers from the model onto transfer boards.
- Molded handgrips on bariatric lightweight wheelchairs aid caregivers in retaining more slip resistance when transporting bariatric patients.
- Handbrakes and wheel brakes help bariatric wheelchair users and caregivers by allowing the unit a more durable means of securing the chair while stationary.
For Extra Comfort
- Adding cushions to the seating area can provide users more comfort in their bariatric lightweight wheelchair.
- Removing rigging that is not needed also aids in comfort by providing more room. For example, disassembling the leg rests and operating the model as a foot propelled manual wheelchair would achieve this.
- Reclining bariatric wheelchairs provide particular relief especially to users who require extended periods of sitting.
At AvaCare Medical, we take extreme pride in the select models of bariatric lightweight heavy duty wheelchairs that we offer. Whether you are a user, a caregiver, or a medical facility looking to find the best bariatric manual wheelchair(s) possible, we are here to assist you. Simply order online or give us a call at 1-877-813-7799 during business hours to have any questions answered quickly and efficiently!